Advanced Site Building in Drupal 7
Get ready for a dive into some of Drupal's most powerful tools for site builders. Here we look deep into Views, Panels, Display Suite, and Context modules for laying out Drupal pages. We uncover importing content into a Drupal site with the Feeds module, build and customize a slideshow with Views Slideshow and immerse ourselves in ways to spam-proof our site. Most importantly, we look at how all of these tools work together and how to decide which tools are best for which situation.
Before watching this series, you will need a fresh Drupal 7 installation. Follow the videos in the Setting Up a Web Environment With Drupal to get Drupal set up on your Windows, OSX (Mac) or Linux machine.
Some of the key points we'll be covering include:
- How to set up administrative tools to speed up your building process.
- How to configure content types and decide when to share fields and other configuration.
- How to use the Panels modules to position content
- How to use Display Suite for positioning content and building new view modes without code!
- Working with advanced Views tools like relationships and argument-passing
- How to build a slideshow with Views
- How to import content into your site using the Feeds module
Who this collection is for
This collection is for anyone who wants to learn the most powerful tools and techniques for organizing and positioning content on a Drupal site. This will of course be useful for determining which techniques to use on your own projects, but because we will cover the most common techniques you will be likely to run into when working with existing Drupal projects, this collection will help you tremendously when working on a team.
A basic familiarity with Drupal concepts and terminology will be useful. If you start to feel lost, you may want to review the "Build Your First Drupal 7 Web Site" collection where we cover these. This collection is intended as a kind of sequel to that collection, so we build off of the ideas from it.